Monday, April 8, 2013

A rush job


Just before Easter Sunday
like, about four days before
my Mother in Law calls me
and asks if I could do a rush job.

With the emphasis on 'rush'.

This Infant of Prague
had been knocked out of his niche.
He'd had a pretty efficient repair job
and hats off to whoever did it
because plaster is a cow to glue together.
The joins were strong and solid.

But some of the fragments didn't lie flat
and the cracks were horribly visible.
Could I pretty him up again
before
Easter Sunday?


So I did!


And, because this really was a rush job
non-stop painting and sanding, 
painting and sanding,
painting and sanding,
there's no finished picture.
Which is a pity,
because he looked pretty spiffy
 when he was done.

Back to Steampunk Rabbit 
and the commission.
Here she is with her clothes finished.
Her fitted jacket turned out
better than I had hoped.
 Corset laced at the front, 
with a pocket for her
Time Piece.


Riding habit influence at the back,
with buttoned flaps and epaulettes.


She has a tiny key on a chain,
which could be worn as a bracelet
or anklet,
or discreetly tucked into her blouse.


The hat!
Finally, the hat.
It  was going to be glued in place
but it actually sit nicely over her ears
so it's going to be separate.


I'm still adding bits.
Feathers and then some more lace
and ribbons
and the silver gears.



 This is a gear on the back of her 
Time Piece.




And this is the front.
It's not a watch, 
she tells me.
It's a 
Time Piece.

I'm not sure what it does.
Time Travel, maybe?


Here she is, posing.
Rule Buntannia!



Next, a sudden project
when Hubby asked me 
how fast could I make a doll.
The last time he asked that
I made Marie, and she took a month!

But I had an idea I was flirting with.


This is part of it.


And here's two, together.


Painted and sanded and painted and sanded and painted etc.


And this rather disturbing photograph here.

More when I have more!

13 comments:

  1. Gosh you do such amazing work! All fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes furiously* Thank you! It's been an interesting mix of things to make over the past few weeks. I love learning something new every time I make a doll.

      Delete
  2. Miss Rabbit looks fabulous:) I love her coat and her hat and everything!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary! It's been an exciting project and I'll be sorry when she's finished and has to go.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you've done a great job repairing the Infant of Prague:) It's useful as well that you know how to work with clay, paints and so on.
    your steam punk Bunny looks already wonderful in her hat and a big fluffy skirt!Love it!
    Well..I am intrigued by the last pictures, so eagerly waiting to see what doll it is going to be.
    Have a great day!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a steep learning curve. the second layer of paint I put on wouldn't dry and I had to scrape it off. Horrors!

      Delete
  4. Your Infant of Prague is beautiful and the last picture shows you progressed well. Well done and especially at Easter, it was so nice to get the repair finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a bit overawed by the responsibility and was terrified I'd break it. but everyone was very happy with it and they've offered me some more restoration work, which is lovely!

      Delete
  5. Great job on the repair work!

    Your Lovely Rabbit turned out awesome! I didn't get to see the front of her coat on facebook. Love it and the hat, too.... all the little details pull her together wonderfully :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's been so much fun to put together, and the coat, I was worried about making it look neat and tailored, but now it's finished, I'm really pleased :)

      Delete
  6. You did a fantastic job on your rush job! Wow!! I bet your mother in law was happy too ;o) I sincerely love your rabbit! You should be very proud of yourself!! A+++
    I can't wait to see what you are making now!!!
    Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! Thank you! I'm not sure I deserve all A+++, but I have to admit, I'm having fun. I hope that shows.

      The new doll? She's SUCH a tease

      Delete
  7. Wow she is amazing! You did a great job even though it was a rush job

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all for the wonderful and supportive things you say! I'm thrilled to read them and I reply to each one.