Monday, August 12, 2013

Quick and Dirty Wig Tutorial


This is a quick way to wig
if you have the following...
A big piece of Tibetan lambswool,
a doll bigger than 12"
and
a deadline.



Ideally, your wig will be washed and downy-dunked
beforehand.
Check the direction of the hair.


The hair needs to be the right colour.
This is a food colouring light wash of yellow.



Measure out the width of the doll's brow
from ear to ear.
Run a line of glue along the raw edge,



fold over and hold in place.
I use pegs.


Once the glue has a grip
lay the folded edge along the doll's brow again
and roughly mark the areas that do not touch its skull.

Difficult to explain, but you'll understand  
when you try and hold a flat piece of pelt
to a round head.


Neaten up these lines


and cut them out with a sharp scalpel or x acto.


Test for fit once more
and then glue the front ot the wig in position
checking the placement on the brow and
the distance from each ear.


Check the direction of the hair.


Neaten/tuck around the ears 


Apply glue to the wig only
and pull down into position..


Neaten/tuck around the nape of the neck.

(Sorry it's fuzzy.
Remember about the deadline?)


And there she is, done.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the cool tutorial Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Shashi. I should have taken more photos of my fitting the wig to the head, but it's hard to do with the camera in one hand and doll and wig in the other.

      Delete
  2. FABULOUS TUTORIAL!!!! I THINK THAT I MAY HAVE A BIT OF CONFIDENCE TO TRY THIS!!! THANKS!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I shall have reason to use this in the near future! Thanks for sharing Rhissanna!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you all for the wonderful and supportive things you say! I'm thrilled to read them and I reply to each one.